It’s that time of year again here at the Wellness Center, and no, I’m not talking about Pumpkin Spice Lattes! What’s the quickest, easiest, safest way to save a life? Why donating blood of course! And we are here to be your ultimate blood drive resource.
Why should we donate blood?
Good question. In fact why would anyone ever want to save someone else’s life? Because donating 1 pint of blood can actually save up to three lives! According to the American Red Cross, someone needs a blood transfusion every 3 seconds. Exactly 20% of recipients are children and many are even diagnosed with cancer. Not to mention it doesn’t cost us a dime so it fits within those college student budgets of ours. Here are some other fun facts:
- At least 500 pints of blood must be collected every day to meet the needs of area patients.
- About 60% of the population is eligible to donate blood, yet less than 4% do!
- We import more than 20% of our blood supply.
- If donors gave two to four times a year, it would prevent blood shortages.
- Giving blood is a 100% safe!
Are we still a little nervous? Picture this: walking into the lobby, we are first greeted with smiling volunteers who then help us register and give us advice. Then we are kindly escorted to the next station where another friendly volunteer asks some questions during a private and confidential interview. This of course is just to ask us of our health history and places that we have traveled. They will also check our temperature, pulse, blood pressure, and hemoglobin levels.
After this we can begin donating!
The donation typically takes 8-10 minutes where we sit in the most comfortable chairs possible and someone will even hold our hand if we need them to!
Afterwards they will give us something to drink and some snacks and will be able to leave after 10 or 15 minutes.
Easy as… well giving blood!
Some other tips for donating:
- Maintain a healthy iron level in your diet.
- Hydrate – drink an extra 16oz of water before and after your donation.
- Have a healthy meal before your donation – avoid foods high in fat just prior to donation.
- Remember to bring your ID!
So here is the 411:
When: September 18th
Time: 10am – 4pm
Where: RAC MAC gym
There are three options to sign-up:
- Visit online at redcross.org. In the top right hand corner where it says “give blood. find a blood drive.” Type in our sponsor code, “gasou.” We will be the first blood drive link on the page!
- Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Walk in!
Give Blood. Give Life.
We hope to see you there!