We’ve all been asked the question “what do you want to be when you grow up?” Unfortunately, princess and superhero aren’t available majors. It’s hard enough choosing the right college but then having to pick a major out of the seemingly never ending list? Talk about stressful. There are questions we have to ask ourselves in order to determine what major is best for us. Questions such as:
1. Where do our strengths lie?
2. What are we interested in or passionate about?
3. How much schooling do we want to commit to?
4. What kind of work do we want to do?
5. What kind of life do we want to lead?
Choosing the right college major can make a big difference in students’ career prospects and earnings potential, so here’s what experts recommend college students take into consideration when declaring their major:
- It can’t just be about money, in order to be successful we must enjoy our career.
- Get actual work experience, look into getting an internship to see if that major is right for you.
- Talk to an alumni or senior in the major you’re thinking of going with.
Most importantly don’t be scared to change your mind and follow your heart. Our career is something we’ll do every day for the rest of our life, we’ll be more successful if we love what we’re doing. If you don’t feel like that major is right for you after taking a few classes, talk to your adviser or visit career services on campus and explore your options. There’s a major and a career out there made just for you.